POSITION TITLE: Meta Data Taxonomy Specialist
Supports enterprise data management and metadata development and management for NOAA’s National Marine Fisheries Services (NMFS), Office of Science and Technology (OS&T). This position interfaces with personnel across NOAA, NMFS, as well as stakeholders outside of NOAA to help ensure consistent, high quality data management for fisheries data. Work is performed at the NOAA location at 1315 East West Highway, Silver Spring, MD, 20910.
- Coordination with NOAA stakeholders in academia and other government agencies to develop working agreements regarding data quality, metadata and data sharing partnerships.
- Develop standards and reference models for various cross cutting fisheries parameters and metrics
- Support agency efforts to satisfy ISO 11915 which defines the schema required for describing geographic information and services by means of metadata
- Support NMFS requirements for NOAA’s Big Data public/private partnership including data analysis and cleansing
- Develops and manages requirements for the Enterprise metadata management system.
- Provide technical and strategic support for the NMFS information architect.
- Analyze data standards and strategies reflected in OS&T applications to ensure consistent coherent use of terminologies and underlying metadata.
- Reports to Caelum’s on-site Program Manager
- Receives technical guidance and strategic direction from the NMFS information architect.
- Works closely with software engineers and developers who support OS&T systems and requirements, proving guidance and oversight of data applications.
- Participates in data management meetings within and NMFS and across the NOAA enterprise.
- Minimum B.S/B.A. in Engineering, Computer Science, or related field.
- Demonstrated proficiency, with a minimum of 5 years’ relevant experience in data management, preferably in support of environmental data requirements.
- Experience with end-to-end metadata management.
- Experience implementing enterprise-wide metadata solutions.
- Experience with semantic technologies e.g. taxonomies, ontologies.
- Working knowledge of the ISO 19100 series, particularly the ISO 19115 metadata schema.
- Experience and demonstrable expertise with one or more of the following technologies:
- org dataset tags.
- Resource Description Framework (RDF)
- Web Ontology Language (OWL)
- Simple Knowledge Organization System (SKOS).
- Experience supporting matrixed collaborative data management and analysis.
- Experience in a NOAA or other U.S Government particularly in support of a science mission is highly desirable.
- Knowledge of reference data practices.
- Knowledge of master data management principles.
- Experience in a application development environment is desirable.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
COMPENSATION AND OTHER FINANCIAL CONSIDERATIONS AT HIRE:
* Base salary open, depending upon background and experience of successful candidate.
To apply for this job email your details to NOAA-IMS@caelum.com