POSITION TITLE: Web Developer IV
POSITION SUMMARY: Works on a collaborative team to maintain and enhance the website for the NOAA NESDIS Center for Satellite Applications and Research (STAR), which is the repository for public facing work of a large, highly sophisticated R&D organization.
The candidate will be responsible for content management and website architecture, ensuring currency and viability of all links including many related programs and special projects within STAR. Works closely with the STAR webmaster, STAR IT, office scientists and senior technical managers to develop and refine content and development approaches.
- Manages website content ensuring currency and compliance with NOAA and other Federal standards for web presentation including 508a, and OMB Circular 130.
- Works with system administrators to test and install new sites, capabilities, and updates.
- Integrates a wide variety of web presentation platforms including GIS, and 3 and 4 dimensional animations.
- Consults with and supports in-house scientists and analysts who either contribute to or manages their own website within STAR.
- Develops and manages web content using a variety of development and content management tools.
- Provides interpretive and visualization analysis to help translate technical and programmatic concepts into web mock ups and pages.
- Provides editorial guidance and improvements to narrative site inputs.
- Reports to Caelum Team Lead.
- Supports and coordinates a variety of scientific domain specialists and researchers.
- Minimum B.S. in a technical field or comparable experience.
- 8 or more years’ experience as a web developer and/or web master.
- Strong written and verbal communications skills; incumbent will find themselves improving, explaining, and synthesizing both technical approaches and site content in support of science efforts.
- Experience in using and customizing Apache Web Serve.
- Familiarity with tools and techniques for delivering chart output in vector (SVG) formats.
- Experience with content management system/collaboration tools such as Drupal, WordPress, or others.
- Experience with image generation from scientific data inputs – no specific languages required, but familiarity with image generation from Python, IDL, McIDAS or similar would be very helpful.
- Knowledge of web usability and accessibility principles and applications.
- Must have basic ability with Photoshop or similar. Demonstrated experience in graphic design and presentation highly desirable.
- Experience in developing and managing scientific websites is highly desirable.
COMPENSATION AND OTHER FINANCIAL CONSIDERATIONS AT HIRE:
- Base salary open, depending upon background and experience of successful candidate.
WEB DESIGNER/DEVELOPER IV Performs website design and creation. Plans, designs, develops, tests, edits, maintains, and documents look and flow of websites in cooperation with STAR’s existing staff. Develops and implements standards and templates across the organization. Interviews clients to help them clarify their goals for establishing a website. Designs or supervises design of digitized images, banners, bullets, charts, image maps and other graphics to enhance appearance of site. Requires knowledge of programming techniques and computer internet systems. Performs a variety of tasks. Works under general supervision; typically reports to a project leader or manager. A certain degree of creativity and latitude is required. Familiar with standard concepts, practices, and procedures within a particular field. BS/BA degree in a related area (or equivalent), and 6 to 8 years of experience in the field or in a related area.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com